Subclass-802 & 101

Child Visa- Subclass - 802 & 101

A child visa (802 and 101) allows an eligible parent to sponsor their child to live in Australia for indefinite period. The parent can apply on behalf of a child younger than 18 years of age.
802 visa is applied if the child is in Australia while 101 visa is applied when the child is outside of Australia. Both the visas allow applicants to live in Australia permanently with their parents.

Parental Responsibility

For Parent
To get this visa, the parent must be:

  • an Australian citizen
  • the holder of an Australian permanent resident visa
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.
For Child
To get this visa, the child must be:
  • sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner
  • single and younger than 18 years of age (and not adopted)
  • In case of an adopted child, the child must be below the age of 18 at the time of adoption.
  • In case the child is between 18 to 25 years of age, they should be full-time students to be eligible.
  • A child who is 18 or older and unable to work due to a disability and dependent on the sponsoring parent.
The child can include their own dependent children in this application.

For Sponsor

An eligible sponsor is a person who:

  • Is a parent, a stepparent or adoptive parent of the child
  • Is a stepparent who has separated from the child’s parent but has a legal responsibility to care for the child younger than 18 years of age
  • Is an adoptive parent who adopted the child before becoming an Australian citizen
  • Is older than 18 years of age
For more information on the eligibility of Adopted, Disabled and Children between 18 to 25 years, Click here.

Obligation Of The Sponsor

  • A sponsor is responsible for the cost to the Australian Government of the child living in Australia
  • A sponsor must be able to support the child with a reasonable living standard, provide adequate accommodation and enough financial support to meet the child’s need for their first two years in Australia
  • help the child settle in Australia
  • Support the child to attend English Language class and thus enhance the child’s proficiency in the Language.

Parental Obligation Of The Sponsor

A person who wishes to become a sponsor of a child below 18 years of age has to fulfil the following parental obligations.

  • A sponsor must have the written consent of each person who can claim a legal right on deciding where the child will live.
  • A sponsor must acquire a legal permission from the child’s home country granting its removal.
  • The permission acquired by the sponsor must be consistent with any Australian child order.

Benefits Of Child Visa (820 And 101)

This is a permanent residence visa. It allows the child to:

  • stay in Australia Indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • Take benefit of Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship if and when they become eligible
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia within five years from the date the visa is granted.

Responsibility of the Parent

A parent of a child younger than 18 years of age must have any of the following proofs to get this visa:

  • A written consent of each person who can claim a legal right on deciding where the child will live.
  • A legal permission by the child’s home country granting its removal
  • It is consistent with any Australian child order.

Health requirements

Certain health requirements are to be met by the child for a successful application for Child Visa. The health report of the child should not be more than 12 months old. A health report of all the family members included in the application is required, irrespective of whether they are migrating or not.

Character requirements

To successfully applying for this visa, a police certificate from all the countries of the child’s residence (where the child has resided for 12 months or more during the past 10 years) is required to apply for this visa. This is only applicable is the child 1years of age or more.

Debts to the Australian Government

The applicant must be free from any outstanding debts to the Australian Government before the visa can be granted.
To get further information on child visa, get in touch with our registered immigration consultants today!

Building Bridges, Connecting Cultures

Our team of skilled professionals is passionate about helping individuals and families overcome the complexities of the immigration process.
Scroll to Top